Friday, July 15, 2011

Sooo fine...


    So my Mom gave me a big ole basket of fresh raspberries from her garden the other day and I had a few left over from a pint that Husband brought home from work. I felt a bit overwhelmed but then asked myself, can there be such a thing as too many raspberries? Never! Especially if you are into making your own...ICE CREAM!!! Which I am.
   It all started when we received an ice cream maker attachment for our Kitchenaid as a wedding present (  thank you mystery gift giver, there was no tag on your gift but we love it!!! ). Since then I have been making ice cream on a semi-regular basis. I have made pumpkin, strawberry molasses, ginger lemon, and just recently made an amazing roasted apricot sorbet.
   My favorite so far has been the pumpkin, the custard base of the ice cream pairs perfectly with the roasted pumpkin and spices. I got the recipe from David Lebovitz's lovely blog The Sweet Life @ www.davidlebovitz.com. He is not only a lucky human being ( living in Paris blogging about delicious food ) but somewhat of a ice cream guru. I have not checked out his book The Perfect Scoop, but I did run across this nifty gadget sanctioned by him at finecooking.com.
                     Ice Cream Recipe: Create Your Own - Fine Cooking Recipe Maker
   The gadget has it's limitations but it is a good way to start inventing your own flavors and after working with it a couple of times I am starting to see what the basics of making ice cream are and how to move beyond the ingredients listed. Next flavor: Honey! Maybe with a little cardamom? We shall see.
   Anyway Husband and I went over to see our food lovin and sharing friends Annie and Blain and their sweet new addition Ferne Adele. We brought the raspberry ice cream to share and had a lovely evening holding a darling baby and eating wonderful homemade goodies. The sweet life indeed.