Monday, February 14, 2011

FEILD TRIP!!

Husband was down in Portland, Oregon this last weekend for the work related Oganicology Confrence hosted by OGC and I drove down to join him on Sunday for a little inspiration and relaxation. Portland did not disapoint! Every time I have been to Portland in the last decade ( as a kid all I cared about Portland was Rose's and that they had doughnuts as big as my head  ) I have seen so many excellent gardening and art ideas that I leave with a ton of projects stewing in my brain.
We checked out the excellent Mississippi Ave ( so hip ) ate at Pine State Biscuits ( so tasty ) and generally cruised North East Portland ( so neat ). As we walked off our enormous biscuit and gravy breakfast sandwiches we stumbled upon a painted intersection that the residents had named Sunnyside Piazza. Now, I have had the honor to work on one of these super awesome traffic diversions in Seattle's Wallingford neighborhood. The projects are intended to bring together residents to work together on painting and maintaining a giant street mural to help slow down traffic in their intersection. But the people of Sunnyside Piazza went way beyond just a mural. Some of the features included gazebos on each sidewalk corner, planted barrels, and my favorite a green roofed neighborhood bulletin board/ kiosk. Talk about taking a good thing to a whole other level of awesome! Granted the mural needs to be repainted but all in all so cool! 
We finished up our adventure by having a drink at Roadside Attraction. They had just lit the outdoor firepit when we got there and so I enjoyed my mimosa under cover warmed by a crackling fire on a misty drizzly Northwest Sunday. sigh. so good. 








But now we are back home and the raised bed project ( along with all our other half-finished projects ) and the rapidly approaching spring planting are looming. Onward!